Hello! I am currently a Law & Philosophy Fellow at the University of Chicago Law School. As of fall 2018 I will be an Assistant Professor of Philosophy and Environmental Studies at New College of Florida, in beautiful Sarasota.
I work mainly in ethics, and focus on connections between value theory and moral status, animals and the environment. I have interests in experimental philosophy, psychology, and how they bear on the descriptive and normative aspects of our relations to other entities, as well as environmental studies, animal behavior and cognition, legal, social and political philosophy, the philosophy of death, Bentham, Nietzsche, and Wittgenstein.
From 2014-2017, I was a post-doc (Assistant Professor/Faculty Fellow) for the Animal Studies Initiative in the Department of Environmental Studies at New York University. I earned my doctorate in Philosophy at Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (PhiCo) in 2014. From 2010-13 I was a doctoral student, teaching fellow, and member of the CURAPP at the University of Picardie Jules Verne. I also graduated from Ecole Normale Supérieure, Ulm (Paris), passed the ‘Agrégation’ in philosophy (a national competitive exam), and earned an MA in 'History of European Legal Thought’ (Paris 1, 2010).
Here's my current CV.
Email: nd [dot] delon [at] gmail [dot] com
Besides academia, I enjoy spending time with my wife, daughter, and cat, vegan cooking and baking, running long distances, riding my bike, and listening to all sorts of music (classical, jazz and punk rock). Sometimes I tweet or post pictures.
- D. Purves, N. Delon, Meaning in the lives of humans and other animals, Philosophical Studies
- Review of The Moral Rights of Animals, M. Engel Jr., G. Comstock, Eds., Essays in Philosophy
- N. Delon, D. Purves, Wild animal suffering is intractable, Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics
- Urban animals as captives, Colloquium, Pacific Division Meeting of the APA, San Diego, 3/29/18
- Author meets critics: TJ Kasperbauer, Subhuman, Pacific Division Meeting of the APA, San Diego, 3/29/18
- Meaningful lives and complicity in collective harms, Great Lakes Philosophy Conference, Adrian, MI, April 6-8, 2018
- The ethics and ecology of genetic interventions to prevent wild animal suffering (with D. Purves), Enhancements Workshop, Rutgers-Camden, April 2017, 2018
- The meaning of animal work, Workshop: Animal Labour, Queen's University, Kingston, May 15-17, 2018